Building relationships with our patients is something that they don’t talk about a lot in our profession. Just recently while I was at breakfast with my wife, I won.
I won because of a patient. I have a text message service, the text message service system is called Hability, and I use this to keep in communication with my patients. I give them an option at their evaluation whether they want to signup for the service or not.
About 90% of my patients sign up through text; the other 10% sign up through email. A patient sent to me “Greg, I wanted to see if you could help me out with finding a physician for injections in case I need one?”
She came for her first visit on Monday; I saw her on Monday, I mapped out everything for her, I told her that we’re going to give this three weeks of therapy. We should see some progress and improvements by then, and we can look at other options if we don’t achieve positive results by then.
So I said , this is what we are going to do.”
She reaches out to me via text and says, “Greg, I called this place FOI (Florida Orthopedic Institute), and they can’t get me in to see a doctor for injections until the end of September, so do you have any thoughts on that?”
I said, “I can call somebody, and see if I can get you in earlier than that, we are still going to stick to our plan though, right?”
She says “Yes but I just want to know.”
Click here to watch the video: How I Build Relationships Using My Phone
All I did was send a text. If my patient would have called me while I was having breakfast with my wife, I probably get back to her later today or maybe tomorrow. I don’t really want to talk on a phone because it can get drawn out, but I used text.
I used technology, and that’s all I did.
And I just said to her “Sure I can hook you up.”
I text one of my doctor guys that I know. A pain management guy that does injections.
I said, “I got a patient for you potentially if things don’t work out with therapy.”
“Wow Greg, thanks so much,” he says.
“Hey give me her contact information, and I am going to give it to the front, and I’ll take care of her”
I got her name, I got her contact information, and I sent it to him. All I did was send it back to her.
I said “I just spoke with the doctor and they are going to contact you,”
She said “You are the first person in over ten years of me dealing with this that cared”
I have won in this lady’s book so quickly because I did that. Could I have done that the traditional way that all these archaic PTs like me are calling her; I would have called her later, maybe tonight, but that’s not excellent customer service.
All I did, I said to my wife, “hold on, one second… … … “ done. I won with her, I then gave the doctor a potential new patient, and I did that in two and a half minutes.
You can decide what you want to do. There’s a lot of lessons to learn from that. Communicating happens to me all day long because most people don’t want to take the call from the patient because let’s face it, it’s a bother.
You are at lunch and don’t want to talk to somebody for 35 minutes, but you can text them. I don’t want to get on the phone, the doctor is busy too but you can text, and everybody won today.
The lady won, the physician won, and I won. And because I just made both happen, everybody wins. I just wonder why don’t people use these things more?
Why? It’s just a way to win. It’s getting easier. I just want you to understand that today. These are the things that I try to teach my students; it’s that you can’t do things the same old way – you can’t.
People ask “How is it that you guys are busy and your employees are so happy?”
It’s because we know how to leverage ourselves. We’ve learned how to leverage, how to develop relationships, and how to create connections with patients.
Think about it, most physical therapists, what did they do? They just beg the doctor,
How about hooking the doctor up? How about collaborating with physicians? How about taking care of your patients?